RCI is the global leader in vacation exchange. Founded as Resort Condominiums International in 1974 to facilitate exchanges among condominium owners, RCI quickly became a driving force for growth within the industry and has been at the forefront ever since.
RCI's core business is exchange vacations, providing its global community of 3.7 million timeshare owners worldwide with quality vacation experiences at more than 4,000 resorts in 100 countries through week-for-week and points-based timeshare exchange networks. RCI subscribing members are passionate about how they choose to spend their hard earned leisure time. They demand flexibility, quality and freedom of choice. They crave variety and adventure, and that's why they choose RCI to help them get more out of their vacation ownership.
In addition, RCI is known for being a trusted partner to its affiliated resorts. RCI is the largest exchange network in existence - offering a vast selection of high quality choices, a sizeable and established membership base, marketing support and lead-generation capabilities, and extensive rental and distribution channels. RCI strives to make dream vacations a reality for its subscribing members and to help developers grow their business by expanding the benefit and enjoyment of vacation ownership.
The History of RCI:
• 1974: RCI incorporates in Virginia; RCI opens office in Park Fletcher, Indianapolis, Ind.; First resort affiliated; 453 members enrolled.
• 1975: First resort directory published; First member newsletter released; 236 exchange confirmed; Worldwide timeshare sales total $490 million USD.
• 1976: First office outside U.S. opens in Mexico.
• 1977: London office opens; Endless Vacation® magazine debuts (32 pages)
• 1978: First European timeshare conference held in London; Richard Ragatz publishes U.S. Resort Timeshare Purchasers: Who They Are, Where They Buy, the first published research study on the timeshare industry.
• 1979: RCI Travel, a full-service travel agency, opens in Indianapolis.
• 1980: Offices open in Monaco and Australia; Toll-free lines open seven days a week; Red/Blue/White seasons established.
• 1981: Offices open in Japan and Florida.
• 1982: Offices open in Argentina and California; RCI confirms 54,038 exchanges and 682 affiliated resorts.
• 1983: South Africa office opens; RCI makes "Inc. 500," a list of the fastest growing, privately owned businesses in the U.S.
• 1984: Offices open in France, Colorado, Massachusetts, and Georgia.
• 1985: 1000th resort affiliates; Resorts of International Distinction resort quality award program established; RCI Perspective (now RCI Ventures®), a magazine for the timeshare industry, debuts for RCI affiliates; Worldwide timeshare sales total $1.5 billion USD.
• 1986: Holiday, RCI's European member magazine launches; Offices open in Germany and Italy
• 1987: Portugal office opens; RCI confirms 300,000 exchanges.
• 1988: Offices open in Denmark and Mexico.
• 1989: RCI has one million subscribing member families; RCI upgrades to IBM's largest computer system, the 3090-400E; RCI's annual revenue is $107 million USD.
• 1990: RCI adds offices in Venezuela, Greece, Spain, Tenerife and Mexico; RCI handles three million phone calls; Timeshare industry is growing at 15 percent annually.
• 1991: Offices open in Canada and Finland; RCI Gold Crown Resort® quality award recognition program established.
• 1992: Offices open in Singapore, India, and Brazil; RCI confirms 1.14 million exchanges.
• 1993: Office opens in Turkey; Hilton Grand Vacation Club affiliates with RCI; RCI establishes RCI Management.
• 1994: Offices open in Egypt and Israel; RCI celebrates 20 years of great vacations with 1.8 million members, 2,853 resorts, and confirmation of 1,396,785 exchanges; RCI has 3,400 employees at 54 offices in 26 countries.
• 1995: RCI has two million member families; RCI buys Resort Computer Corp.; RCI opens RCI Consulting.
• 1996: Office opens in Russia; HFS purchases RCI; RCI's annual revenue exceeds $300 million USD; RCI.com is launched.
• 1997 - RCI introduces the Preferred Alliances program; RCI affiliates 500th Gold Crown Resort; HFS and CUC International, Inc. merge to form Cendant Corporation, parent company of RCI.
• 1998: Vacation Plaza office opens in Indianapolis; Cork, Ireland call center opens; RCI has 2.5 million members and nearly 3,500 resorts.
• 1999: RCI confirms more than 2.7 million exchanges, sending an estimated 7.5 million people on vacation; RCI world headquarters moves to Parsippany, N.J.
• 2000: RCI launches the world's first global points-based exchange system, RCI Points®.
• 2001: RCI establishes a representative office in Beijing, China.
• 2002: RCI launches a new Web site for members called the RCI Community; In the face of a post 9/11 travel slump, U.S. timeshare sales grow by 14 percent to $5.5 billion USD, further demonstrating timeshare's traditional resiliency; RCI acquires Hotel Dynamics, a leading provider of occupancy and revenue solutions to hospitality companies; RCI enters the vacation rental market with Holiday NetworkSM, a worldwide vacation rental channel for consumers; RCI surpasses the three million member mark; RCI introduces an exchange program for owners at private residence clubs called A&K Registry, now known as The Registry Collection® program.
• 2003: RCI Points has 350,000 members; RCI opens new office in Dubai, UAE; RCI has 3,750 affiliated resorts located in 100 countries.
• 2004: RCI celebrates 30 years of great vacations! Ends year with over 3 million members and 2.6 million member exchanges made.
• 2005: RCI and the Cendant Vacation Rental Group operate in a new organization called Cendant Vacation Network Group(CVNG) headed by Ken May, chairman & CEO. CVNG becomes the global leader in leisure accommodations with exclusive access to 60,000 vacation properties worldwide.
• 2006: To further leverage RCI's unique brand equity in the vacation ownership exchange businesses, and in recognition of the integration of RCI with European vacation rental businesses, Cendant Vacation Network Group becomes Group RCI. Its leisure real estate solutions business is renamed NorthCourse.
• 2007: Group RCI expands its presence in the vacation rental market with the introduction of Endless Vacation Rentals®, the industry's first global, one-stop shop for vacation rentals.
• 2008: RCI unveils first ever "green" resort directory.
• 2009: RCI unveils RCI TV, an online television network featuring entertaining and educational content about vacation exchange; RCI is named "Employer of the Year" by ARDA; RCI launches first ever 'Go Green Award'; announces RCI Shopping Perks® program.
• 2010: RCI introduces RCI Points Platinum® membership; RCI launches mobile applications available for iPhone; receives ACE Philanthropic Award for charitable work with Christel House charity; RCI unveils trading power transparency, transforming the exchange experience for its RCI Weeks members.
• 2011: RCI launches RCI Weeks Platinum® membership; wins coveted ACE Innovator Award; introduces vacation recommendation feature to further enhance members' experience.