Situated on the banks of Beas, the hill station of Manali, Himachal Pradesh, is an idyllic tourist spot. Snowcapped peaks, amidst lush greenery and picturesque sights, surround this hill station. Known for capturing true Himalayan beauty at its best, Manali has quite a number of tourist attractions near the town.
The Bhuntar (Kullu-Manali) Airport is the closest to Manali, located a mere 50 kms from the hill station. Driving up to the hill station or taking a bus is also a convenient option. Cabs and taxis are available for hire from Chandigarh and Ambala as well. The nearest narrow gauge railhead is 135 kms away, at Joginder Nagar, and the closest train stations are in Ambala (355 kms) and Chandigarh (310 kms).
Things to Do
- The Hidimba Devi temple is an ancient cave temple, built amidst a cedar forest.
- The Vashist Hot Springs, located near the Vashishta Muni temple, believed to be endowed with healing power, is a popular tourist destination in Manali. The mountain lake – Bhrigu Lake – is a short trek from the temple.
- The Great Himalayan National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Sight, home to a wide variety of flora and fauna.
- Surrounded by dense forests, Rehala Falls is a great spot for a picnicking, climbing and trekking.
- The Manali Sanctuary is the ideal place for taking nature walks and bird watching.
- Rafting can be enjoyed at Pirdi near Kullu, and paragliding and skiing in the Solang valley or the Rohtang pass areas.
Best time to visit
April–June and September–December